Do you want to add a cozy, warm hearth to your home without spending a lot of time or money? This plug-in electric fireplace has a large, impressive mantel, realistic flames and a heater that can warm up to 400 square feet.
What Makes an Electric Fireplace a Good Value?
1. Get the traditional look of a fireplace that you want without all the extra cost or labor. Plus, the upscale mantel has exquisite detailing, so this “faux fireplace” doesn’t look cheap.
2. The flickering LED flames add warmth to any room, and package also includes a faux log set that glows like real burning logs. You can truly transform a plain, boring room into one that’s inviting and cozy just by adding a fireplace.
3. Not to mention, the modern design comes with a remote control, adjustable flame colors and a timer that shuts the fireplace off at a time that you set. Get all the high tech conveniences with the traditional look and feel of a conventional hearth.
4 & 5. The firebox stays cool to the touch, so it’s safer when kids or pets are nearby. Plus, you can run it with or without heat, which allows you save money on operating costs. Electric fireplaces actually have several benefits besides just being easier and cheaper to install.
How to Install an Electric Fireplace:
Compared to wood-burning and gas hearths, LED fireplaces are simple and inexpensive to install. This hearth-and-mantel fireplace, however, has an extremely easy set-up.
1. First of all, it’s free-standing, so you don’t have to cut open any walls like you do with wall-mounted units. This takes a significant amount of time and labor out of the project. Plus, most people will be able to add a fireplace to their home without needing help.
2. Second, the firebox already comes with its own mantel surround. Therefore, you get that finished, built-in look without having to build a mantel yourself.
3. Third, you can plug in the Salcombe into a regular 120V wall outlet. As a result, you may not have to do any wiring. You can use electrical outlets already in your home.
A big advantage of electric fireplaces is that you can install them in virtually any room. And with this freestanding plug-in unit, set-up is even easier (as long as the mantel fits the space).
Note: Although the Salcome is not designed specifically as a corner fireplace, you can actually place it in a corner. To cover the gap between the fireplace and the wall, all you need to do it cover it with a piece of plywood that you paint the same color as the mantel.
Then, nail support boards into the wall behind the fireplace at 40.25″ from the floor (the height of the fireplace). The plywood should measure slightly larger than 35″ x 35″ x 50″, so that it covers the gap and can rest on the support boards and backside of the fireplace.
How Much Does it Cost to Install an Electric Fireplace?
Although ventless fire boxes don’t require complicated, time-intensive and costly construction projects, the price will vary by size, type and installation location. However, with this free standing plug-in fireplace, you don’t have to worry about extra labor costs.
You can simply assemble the mantel yourself and insert the firebox into the mantel. Then, slide the unit against a wall and plug it into a standard wall outlet.
Note: As you can see from the photo, the mantel is hollow on the inside and doesn’t have a lot of parts. Therefore, it doesn’t take much time to put together, and it doesn’t weigh much either. (So, it’s easier to move into place.)
That said, there is one exception. If you decide to put your fireplace against a wall that doesn’t have an electric outlet, you may need to install one. Electricians typically charge between $100 and $200 for this job. However, you can add an electrical outlet yourself for about $20-$30 if you have the knowledge.
Specs for the Salcombe Plug-in Electric Fireplace:
- Dimensions: 50″ Wide x 14″ Deep x 40.25″ Tall
- Installation: Freestanding, plug-in
- Mantel Material: Wood
- Mantel Color: Grey
- Heating Area: 400 Square Feet
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Amps: 12.5 Amps
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Power: Plug-In)
- Timer: Yes
- Remote Control: Yes
- Includes Faux Log Set
- Assembly Required
- Installation Manual
- Product #: FA1095959
- Customer Service Phone: 800-633-5096
- For Sale: Where to Buy the Salcombe Fireplace